This post is for my sister-in-law...She and I have talked a few times about how to provide good, healthy snacks for our children. She just recently posted on her blog about it, and I just wanted to add one idea: presentation.
I believe strongly in "if you offer it, they will eat it." Not immediately and not every time, but in general. Of course, the sooner you start your kids eating healthy food, the better. I've found that my kids are much more willing to eat what I offer if it is presented in a fun way. Dan was my inspiration for this, since every meal or snack he ever makes for me is a work of art... a few examples of his work: (he doesn't always use the same plate, it just so happened those were the pictures I had :) )
So one day I was setting out some veggies for the kids and to make it more fun, made this guy:
The boys LOVED him and he was devoured in about a minute. Dan is still the master, but I'm slowly learning :) It really does make mealtime more fun, and gives me a chance to be creative, when sometimes meal preparation can seem so mundane. The end.
Love it! We like to do "faces" for lunch sometimes. I just take whatever I have in the refrigerator and go for it...
ReplyDeleteSo cute! You should check out the Dubien's website and Creative Kids. They have tons of super cute and EASY ideas!
ReplyDeleteHa, that guy is awesome...you get major mom points for that.
ReplyDelete