Sorry, this post is a little more raw than I ever get on my blog.
I am having a 5th boy. SO, SO many people have asked me if I'm sorry it wasn't a girl. SO. MANY. There are some people I don't mind when they ask me things like this, like close family or friends. I get sick of it, but I know them and know they're not trying to upset me. But when acquaintances or strangers ask me that, it really REALLY irritates me. Especially when they say it IN FRONT of my boys! The other comment that makes me particulary angry is when I tell people I have 4 boys or that i'm having another boy and they say, "I'm sorry." Now my general world view is that most people are trying to be nice good people and I try very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt. I know in my mind that they're probably not trying to be mean or hurtful. But for some reason it feels mean and hurtful. And it feels insulting to my boys. And it makes my mama bear claws come out. I am generally very civil to people and try to answer politely and with a smile, but honestly, after 1400 times of answering with a smile, my fake smile is wearing out!!
In all truth, I really thought this baby was a girl. Dan and I prayed and prayed about wanting to feel peace about being done having kids. But I couldn't get a feeling of peace. And I distinctly felt that the baby was going to be a girl. This pregnancy was completely different than all my others. I barely got sick at all. I was sick maybe 10 days total, and not consecutively. All these things together made me feel quite sure it was a girl. Then in the sonogram, it was pretty clear I was wrong. Even a couple years ago I had a feeling I would have four boys. Not 5. (http://blogztheblogtoendallblogs.blogspot.com/2011/03/journal-entry.html) Did I make those feelings up? I don't know. It's rocked my world a little bit. OK maybe a lot. I was shocked when she said it was a boy. Genuinely surprised. But sorry? No.
Dan and I put out a truly quality product, and I am so crazy in love with my boys. It is really hard to have all boys sometimes, and things get a little wild, and a little loud, a lot dirty, and somewhat crazy. BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN SORRY FOR ONE DAY ABOUT HAVING ANY OF THEM. I get completely overwhelmed with emotion when I think about my little men. Why would I not want another one just like them????
I guess I could rant on and on about this for a while. About all the insensitive things people say, and how my feelings are truly hurt by them, no matter how hard I try to convince myself to just let them roll off my back. I just felt like I needed to get it off my chest.
Ok I'm done with that now.
So let me end with a story:
When George was little, we used to talk about how it was completely unfair to have a baby that cute first, because it was be hard for any other kid to compare to him. He's always been so sweet and so smart. We kind of felt sorry for whoever came after him....
Then we had Ben. And Ben was soo beautiful and soo smart. Full of whipped creamy goodness and fire all at the same time. We thought after these two, there is just no way for anyone to compare.
Then came Henry. Oh my. We could not believe what an adorable little imp he was. Surely, after these three, there's just NO WAY the next one can keep up.
And I can't WAIT to see who's next. I am not sorry to welcome another one of these little guys into my world. I am so grateful for how richly God has blessed my life. I don't know why He does what He does, or how He chooses which spirits go where, but I entered into this with a willing heart and an open home for whoever He chose to send us. And I am grateful no matter who He sends. The. end.



I can't wait either!,,
ReplyDeleteI love posts like this. Show your reality. Tell it how it is. And express your love. There is so much opposition when we do good things!! The comments definitely aren't going to stop just because you posted this and they're going to still hurt, but you are stronger for just having said it.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, do you feel even a little bit better? Blog therapy! Me too!
ReplyDeleteI love your boys too. And you're right, another one just has to be an amazing, wonderful thing. No doubt about it. My mother-in-law (who has 6 boys) told me when I was pregnant with Bren that there is just something different and special about a mom-son bond, and it's true, don't you think? Any kiddo is lucky to be coming to your home!
I dare you to make it a competition now, and give a prize to the next 100th person who says something...
no wonder God is sending another boy......you make some amazing ones!!!! both inside and out! i think that most people are not trying to be mean. they are reacting to your news like they might react if it was their reality perhaps. doesn't make it less hurtful though. :( i'm very excited for you! :)
ReplyDeletenicole
You are great with boys. Baby 5 will be a unique and wonderful surprise. Its been fun to try to think up proper "old men" names.
ReplyDeleteOH, Melissa! I'm so sorry... (did I win the prize?). Totally kidding. When I went in for my ultrasound with J.J. all the nurses and office workers (and even some of the other patients) were all anxious to find out what we were having. So, when I stepped out of the room and announced to everyone that it was a boy they all cheered. I was (am) very happy to have our little rascal in the family but I've always thought "What would people have said if I came out of the room and said it was a girl?" Because I KNOW I would have been beyond happy to have another sweet little girl to raise. (I even had a name picked out). People just want to see balance, even in families. But Mommies and Daddies just want to see healthy babies.
ReplyDeletePeople just don't think before they speak. Also I know unless they've been through it they have no idea how you're feeling or how many comments you are getting. But I have to say, if it wasnt the boy issue, it would be something else. I had a little girl from Mia's class run up to me and say, "you're having ANOTHER one...geeze when will you stop?". So even seven year olds are guilty of the nonsense. And you know I'm happy about the fifth boy. This world is in short supply of worthy priesthood holders, and my daughters need to marry good ones! Thanks for makin a bunch to choose from! Pfahahahaha!
ReplyDeleteIt is great having five boys! Hopefully the comments will get better. I just tried to find them entertaining and eventually I really enjoyed getting outrageous comments (minus the ones that were meant to put me down like the "girl mom" comments I have already vented about :), John and I got to laugh about them over and over. In fact, I am sort of sad to live in a place now where everyone thinks it is so great to have all the kiddos and are so supportive, it is sort of boring going to the store and parent teacher conferences and church :)
ReplyDeletePS...just for fun, I thought you might enjoy this quote I read a little while ago. I am planning to put it up on on a wall :)
ReplyDeleteboy, n.
1. Noise with dirt on it