Tuesday, July 28, 2009

As many of you know, I try new recipes all the time. There are so many great recipes in the world, and I love food so much (faaaar too much) that I feel like I'm missing out on the joys of this world if I waste my time always eating the same few meals. So we're always trying new things. In fact, the reason I started this blog (since I've always been anti-blog ;) ) was to post recipes I've liked. So, my little blog is finally fulfilling the measure of its creation with my first recipe post.


Veggie Nachos

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef ( I used ground buffalo meat)
  • 3/4 c. water
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning (I made my own: 1 tbsp. chili powder, 2 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. each ground cumin, garlic powder, paprika, powdered oregano and sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt. yum.)
  • 1 medium bunch broccoli, broken into small florets
  • 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small florets
  • 1 package (15-1/2 ounces) bite-size tortilla chips (I used baked tostitos)
  • 1 can (11 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted (I made my own with 1 c. milk, 1 1/2 c. cheese, 2 tbsp. butter)
  • 1/2 cup milk (only if you use the canned cheese sauce)
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained

Directions:

Chop all your veggies and set aside.

In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, drain. Add 3/4 cup water and taco seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make cheese sauce.

Just load up all the veggies and meat on your chips and drizzle cheese sauce over top.

I served it with corn bread.

I changed it to make it as healthy as I thought nachos could be. But still deeelicious. It's a winner.






Everyone ate it and loved it. In my book that's a good recipe.


3 comments:

  1. I like how you make your own ingredients. How do you know how to do that? Do you have an ingredient book? Anyway, it looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i found the taco seasoning online because i ran out. i think it's way better than what you get at the store. i made up the cheese sauce. it was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how it's called "veggie nachos" and the 1st ingredient is ground beef :)

    ReplyDelete