June 1-Three years ago tonight I was making dinner for my little family, when suddenly I began to have some pretty intense contractions. I was right around my due date and having delivered my last baby about 40 minutes after I got to the hospital, I decided to call my mom to come over so I could get to the hospital sooner this time. I had decided not to use any pain killers, since my last delivery showed me I could do it and live to tell the tale... I also called Dan at work and told him to get his tail onto a bus pronto.
So my mom and Dan showed up about an hour after I called them... but my contractions hadn't gotten any more intense. In fact, they were somewhat erratic. I felt like a moron for calling everyone home. So we decided to wait a while to see if they got any worse. I had a few intense ones here or there, but there was no clear intensification. I asked my mom to stay the night in case I need to leave for the hospital at some ungodly hour. I had maybe one or two bad ones in the night, but otherwise got a good night sleep.
June 2- I had a regular OB appointment that morning at 9, so my mom stayed with the kids and I packed a bag just in case she sent me to the hospital. I felt fine, but was having only irregular contractions. When I got there I told the doctor what was going on and she checked me. I will never forget what she said next, "Well, you're a 7 with a bulging bag. Go straight to the hospital and don't hit any bumps on your way there." Soooo off we went. I knew they wouldn't let me eat once I got to the hospital, so I did the only prudent thing: I stopped at Burger King and got a large Oreo milkshake. :)
The doctor had called ahead to tell the hospital nurses I was coming. When I arrived at the hospital, the nurses were in disbelief that I was just walking into the hospital at a 7! I really still felt pretty good. So they got me to a room and hooked me up to a monitor. Then they pretty much disappeared for a couple hours. Dan and I just sat watching TV. The anesthesiologist came in and asked if I wanted an epidural and I said no. He asked me if I was sure and I informed him I was pretty sure. A few minutes later a nurse burst into my room and breathlessly asked me if I was OK. I was a little baffled but I told her I was doing just fine. Her response made me laugh: "Well, I heard a scream and you're the only woman on the floor who does not have an epidural, so I assumed it must be you." Well, anyways, finally the doctor came in a broke my water then left saying, "Push the call button when you need help." Approximately five and a half seconds later I had a crazy intense contraction and pushed the call button for help. Of course, I pretty much couldn't talk through the contraction, so I kind of moaned for help :). At that point I turned to Dan and said, "Dang blast it, I could have had an epidural..." Oh well...I did it and this little guy was born about 15 minutes later....
And from the very beginning, he has been one of the sweetest little children I have ever seen. I am so in love with this child, I find it somewhat overwhelming - it almost makes me feel breathless.
I know every mom thinks her baby is the most beautiful. And I think every mom is right, because babies are straight from heaven, and they radiate that heavenly light and beauty. Babies are so, so wonderful. And, yes, I think my babies are extremely beautiful.
I am so grateful this boy joined our family three years ago. He has brought so much love and such a gentle spirit to our home. Happy birthday to my darling boy.

Cute, sweet boy, and the only one who calls me "Grandpa."
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to sweet Sam!! :) He is such a fun little guy!! :)
ReplyDelete