I found this recipe a couple of years ago while looking for a good pie crust recipe for Thanksgiving. I have the same feelings about shortening that I have about spam: I know I ate it my whole life in various recipes, but I can't bear to buy it or use it myself.. Strange. But I digress. This crust is so delicious and so simple....
So just in time for Thanksgiving:
Butter pie crust
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c butter
1/4c ice water
Mix flour and salt. Cut in butter. Add water a tablespoon at a time and mix until soft dough forms. Form into a ball and refrigerate overnight.
I never remember to refrigerate overnight. I just roll it out between two pieces of saran wrap and try to work fast before it gets too soft :) OH! and this is a single pie crust recipe, which tricks me every time. Don't forget to double it for a pie that needs a top!
It's sooo yummy and I use it for everything from regular pies to pot pies to homemade pop tarts....
which we made this morning. Just spread jelly between two pieces of dough, cut out with cookie cutters and, like my boys informed me this morning, "if you're a nice mom you'll put sprinkles on top."
Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:
Post a Comment