The other day I was sewing some pillow covers for my living room. I had told my friend Sarah that I wanted to make some pillow covers for my living room and she called me and told me there were some lovely kitchen towels at Target that sounded just like what I was explaining to her. I went, and they were perfect! So as I sat there piecing them together, I just kept thinking how excited I was to have them and how beautiful they were. As the project wore on, it also struck me that they looked vaguely familiar... more on that in a minute...
A seemingly unrelated thought: as a child, it always bothered me how people in the 70's could possibly think that those greens, browns, oranges and yellows were in any way attractive. HOW?? It bothered me for years. I just thought the whole decade should just be trashed. Everything was so ugly. I even hated visiting old church buildings that had the pews done in that nasty orange color. Who in their right mind had chosen that?? I remember wondering what had possessed my parents to buy that ugly yellow 1976 toyota corolla, or that avocado green fridge. I remember especially hating orange and brown together. I had a hand-me-down outfit in orange and brown and I remember being ashamed to wear it. Worst combination ever.
Now for a few pieces of evidence against me, as we put the above thoughts together:
Exhibit A: The corolla I thought was so ugly: (one like unto it)

Exhibit B: The dreaded green fridge. (one like unto it)

Exhibit C: recently remodeled upstairs boys bathroom:
Exhibit D: The rug by my back door.
and finally
Exhibit E: My new pillows. Note the color combination of the pillows, as well as the color of the couch and the curtains. And what shade of green is that in the rug?
Hm. Well. There you go. Guess they weren't so crazy after all :)
That is hilarious about hating orange and brown together when you were a kid!!! We had the ugly green appliances and my mom's kitchen had big orange flowers on the wall. Our living room carpet was orange and the couch brown!!! I didn't like those colors either growning up! YUCK! Funny how things cycle through! I love your new pillows!!! Very MODERN!!! Even if they are orange and brown!!! At least your appliances aren't green! :)
ReplyDeleteI've done the exact same thing! Somehow I hate the 70's items, but the colors look great in today's fabrics, etc.!
ReplyDeleteexcellent job on the pillows
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pillows! They would look great with my old brown couch and my green fridge!
ReplyDelete