1. I love food.
2. I spend a lot of time making food for myself and others. Realistically 30-40% or more of my day is spent in food preparation or eating.
3. I get bored easily, so I'm constantly trying new recipes.
4. I never really liked to cook, so trying new recipes makes something mundane into something more exciting.
5. I start blog posts all the time about other topics. Then they take me too long to write down, since I really don't have time to sit and work on my blog and I'm not a good writer. Then they languish in my drafts folder. Recipes are fast and easy to post and it doesn't matter if I'm not a good writer. I am, however, a good eater :)
6. I am trying really hard not just to feed my family, but to feed them well. So I am constantly on the lookout for things that are truly good for the body but that my family will actually eat. I think even healthy food should taste good and be satisfying. No one will keep up a healthy eating pattern if they feel like they're being deprived. And I get all excited when I find healthy, delicious food.
7. I really love food.
Having said that, our Oreo cookie pancakes this morning, topped with real whipped cream and strawberries was deemed "the best breakfast ever." Happy Valentine's day to us. After our dinner of individual size heart-shaped pizzas, we had these brownies, recommended to me by my friend Karen, and they were universally loved by all. (My boys told me they loved me before, but now they really love me.) And there are some redeeming qualities about these brownies so I didn't feel like I was completely poisoning my children, (probably shouldn't have watched this the night before valentine's day).
No-Flour Black Bean Brownies
(gluten-free)
1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining) (I cooked my own black beans and measured after cooking)
2 tbsp cocoa powder- dutch or regular (10g) (add a little extra if desired)
1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (I used old fashioned oats, worked just fine)
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (75g)
2 nunaturals stevia packs or 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup) (I did all real maple syrup)
1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.) (I used mini chocolate chips and I thought 2/3c was too much. 1/2c would be plenty.)
optional: more chips, for presentation
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. Makes 9-12 brownies.
My brownie pan is 9x9 so my brownies were a little thin, but that didn't seem to matter. Oh, and I forgot to mix the chocolate chips in with the batter, so I sprinkled them all on top. :)
wait, what? you wanted some other pictures from our Valentine's day? OK, OK....
Sweet Ben sharing his school party treats with his brothers. A couple minutes later the homeroom moms brought the little boys their own cookies, so they each gave bites to Ben. Warmed my heart....
The big boys purposely dressed themselves in red, I had nothing to do with it.... but I did think it was super cute that they thought of it. :)
Little man sitting with me while I made brownies.
Brotherly, monster truck love.
Good thing Dan could still send flowers, even from all the way on the other side of the globe!
I had a lovely day with my little Valentines. I hope yours was good, too.


Ellie is sitting with me begging to stare at Baby Jack...
ReplyDeleteYep...I ended up with heart shaped oatmeal muffins for valentines thanks to john ;)
ReplyDelete