Monday, April 26, 2010

the name game

so i'm about to do something i never thought i'd do, but here's the explanation:

when we were naming george we said we would pick names out of a hat and whatever we picked would be the name. well we drew a name and realized that wasn't actually the name we wanted so we put it back. then we drew another one and put it back, finally realizing that we liked george the best.....

we are having a hard time naming this baby. we have been sort of hush hush about what names we're thinking of, but we think it's time to put the names we're thinking of out in the open and put them up for a vote. the rationale is that if we see a certain name winning the poll and we wish another name was winning, it will help us see which one we like best. it may not make sense to you, but it makes sense to us :) 

so here we go... if you read my blog, please reply with which name you like best... come out of anonymity and be heard :)

Charles (to be called Charlie)
James
Miles
Andrew (he'll have a first cousin named Andrew, who is 11 years older)
Jack


with the middle name Leon. 

Now you know. Now VOTE!

23 comments:

  1. I like Andrew and Jack because all the rest sound plural ;). Jack might be a little too "popular" for you - but I think it sounds more like the name you wanted orginally... one syllable, cool name for a cool kid - that kinda thing. James could be Jamie (sorry to any Jamies out there - but yuck), a lot of people are calling their girls Charlie right now... just FYI - could be the next "Ashley." Miles I like... apart from sounding plural - because it is what it is. It doesn't have nick-names. It also goes with your kids other names. Andrew also is a more traditional name that goes with your other names - and I like it - and it would be cool to be named after both grandfathers.... So yeah - maybe that was no help! But if I had to pick - I like Andrew best, then Jack, then Miles, then Charles, then James ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like Charlie and Jack the best. Then James. I'm not as keen on Miles or Andrew. So there's my vote. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is my order.
    \
    1. Andrew and call him Andy like your dad. No mix ups with cousin Andrew.

    2. Charles

    3. James

    4. Miles

    5. Jack

    All are fine names and I like them all. But that's my order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, It should be Andrew Leon. Just like Kathyrn Grace. She loved being named after her two great grandmas. Andrew Leon is my vote, for the two grandpas..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Charles or Andrew for the full name effect...but standing alone I like James the best. Kimball is stubborn and votes Samuel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Kenzie had been a boy her name would have been Jack Cameron, so I'm biased in saying to pick Jack. I also like Andrew and have no issues with there being a first cousin with the same name as I have a cousin with my name and there's never been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Andrew or Jack. The joys of baby naming. I think this is a great way to do it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like Jack the best, it feels fun and cheerful yet solid. Realizing I am in the minority so far I am kind of really liking Miles the more I look at the names. When you first scan through it doesn't register as much but since it isn't as common you can't judge instantly, you gotta give a chance for a few seconds and I think I really like it, humble, kind, content, joy. Um, maybe I shouldn't give names feelings (I tend to do that in my head when flushing out names)James was our other name (ironic but perhaps not significant). We'd throw in Nathan every other week or so but those were the two in the end. Everyone I know who was James always used the nickname Jim or Jimmy (excellent Texan name :) if they used a nickname. Charlie is wonderful!! It sounds like sunshine and smiles. Did it again, sorry but it really does make a person want to smile (I think anyway)....My friends in high school named Andrew went by Drew, a less common nickname. So I don't think you can go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jack for sure. In face, I like Jack so much that if I ever had a boy I might just take it. I like James too, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Jack then Miles. It's in that order because of the middle name. Miles doesnt sound as good with Leon as Jack does. But I like Miles better than Jack...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like James or Jack the best but I also really like Andrew. Maybe I should keep my vote to myself since we are having name issues at our house as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm...I'd have to say that I have to see how each names sounds with Leon...so that order is:
    1. James
    2. Andrew
    3. Miles
    4. Charles
    5. Jack

    JAMES was always one of our finalists too...but we knew James Prince, who used to live in Kingwood and is also a DISTANT relative so it never #1...but it was in the top 3 for Thomas!

    ANDREW is a good strong name! We were going to call our Andrew "Drew" but right before he was born Bethany INSISTED that he be called Andrew since that's what we were naming him! I think it would be cool to use both Gpa names!!

    MILES is a good name...fits with all the other boys' names well.

    CHARLES is a good fit with the other boys as well. Melissa is right that Charlie is a name that just makes you feel happy/sunny! I knew a guy at BYU named Charlie...he was always happy and always made us happy when we were around him!

    JACK is a good name, but a little too trendy...doesn't quite fit as well with the other traditional names you already have!

    Good luck!!! I'm sure he'll be cute as can be and will fit what ever name you pick! :) Maybe you can just wait till he comes and see which one he looks like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Jack the best. Then Andrew since I know you've considered Andrew for every child so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Charles, but the you have Charles Prince, which is strange with there being a Prince Charles. But I love Charlie and Andrew and then James (which is conner's middle name and my dad's name). You can't go wrong. They are all cute. Good luck. Thanks for the visit today!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like James, seems to fit with your other boys' names. I also like Andrew. Ammon says you should stick with Samuel--I told him that wasn't an option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. andrew.

    (but mostly that's for selfish reasons because we like the name jack too) :)

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. This isn't really on subject but today when I was playing Thomas with Seth I realized that if you choose James or Charles then all your kids will have Thomas the Tank Engine names. I am not sure that was your goal, but it is kind of interesting/fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I guess you can imagine what my preference is, although I never particularly liked my name. Charles, of course, was my dad's name. Jack, to me, is a nickname, either for John or Jackson. I like James. Miles?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like Charles :)
    next probably andy
    next James
    last miles and jack. They are both really cute but just don't seem as much like solid names.

    ReplyDelete